“The PSI Foundation resident research grant was pivotal in allowing us to study the use of a Daily Goals Checklist in our intensive care unit and learn how this tool could benefit safe patient care, communication, and education. This was the first major peer-reviewed grant funding we have received, and through this project we gained tremendous, first-hand experience conducting rigorous clinical research under the guidance of Dr. Deborah Cook. With the support of the PSI Foundation funding, this project has served as a take-off point for our careers in critical care research.”
In 2012, Drs. Erick Duan and John Centofanti received a Resident Research Grant for $13,000 for their study “ICU Daily Goals Checklist: a mixed methods analysis of effects on communication & patient care.” This project was supervised by Dr. Deborah Cook at McMaster University. Drs. Duan and Centofanti published the results of their study in Critical Care Medicine. They have presented this research in both oral and poster form, including at the 2015 PSI Annual General Meeting, where they won an award for best poster. (Please see citations below.)
Dr. Duan completed medical school and residency at McMaster University. He is finishing fellowship training in Critical Care Medicine and will continue on to the Clinician-Investigator Program, also at McMaster, while beginning a Master’s degree in Health Research Methodology. Dr. Centofanti completed medical school and residency in Anesthesiology at McMaster University. He has begun a Critical Care Medicine fellowship, and will also be completing a Master’s degree in Health Administration at McMaster.
- Centofanti JE, Duan EH, Hoad NC, et al. Use of a Daily Goals Checklist for Morning ICU Rounds. Critical Care Medicine 2014;42(8):1797–803
- Centofanti J, Duan E, Hoad N, Swinton N, Perri D, Waugh L, Soth M, Cook D. Improving an ICU Daily Goals Checklist: Integrated and End-of-Grant Knowledge Translation. Oral Presentation. Canadian Critical Care Forum, Toronto, ON. October 28, 2014.
- Duan EH, Centofanti J, Hoad N, Waugh L, Perri D, Cook D. Use Of A Daily Goals Checklist For Morning Intensive Care Unit Rounds: A Mixed-Methods Study. Am J Respir Crit 2014;189:A5250.
- Hoad N, Duan E, Centofanti J, Waugh L, Perri D, Cook D. Maximizing Staff Involvement To Refine An Icu Rounding Tool. Am J Respir Crit. 2014;189:A5254.
- Centofanti J, Duan E, Hoad N, Waugh L, Perri D, Cook D. 603: RESIDENTS’ PERSPECTIVES ON A DAILY GOALS CHECKLIST: A MIXED-METHODS STUDY. Critical Care Medicine 2012;40(12):1.
- Hoad N, Centofanti J, Duan E, Perri D, Waugh L, Cook D. 814: A MULTIDISCIPLINARY ICU COMMUNICATION CHECKLIST: A QUALITATIVE STUDY. Critical Care Medicine 2012;40(12):1.